Learning from Nature

This past year, I think nature has taught us a lot. Even though screens and technology has increased in prevalence during the pandemic, the prominence of nature has as well. This view was echoed by house fellows Todd Bittner and Andy Zepp. The conversation revealed the importance that nature has for all of us, and how it has been an incredible resource during the pandemic. It was impressive to hear about all the behind-the-scenes work that goes on to keep the parks in the Ithaca area and on the Cornell campus up and running. As we talked about during the interview, one of the benefits of the pandemic was that many people rediscovered their love for the outdoors. The Ithaca area has so much natural beauty, and I was happy that I was able to experience it so much this past year. I now realize that people tend to take things for granted – and the pandemic has reinforced the importance and beauty of our outside. To this end, I truly hope that people remember their new-found love for nature and continue to spend time outdoors, even when we resume our “new normal” activities.

One thought on “Learning from Nature

1. I agree. I also have begun to learn more about nature and go into the outdoors because of the pandemic. I have been on hikes to see gorges multiple times this semester and I had never done that my freshman year. The beauty in Ithaca is so unique and I am happy that I and others have started to have a chance to explore it more. A silver lining to a hard pandemic.