Examining the Role Health Plays in Our Society

At the table talk discussion about OneHealth and zoonotic diseases, I learned a lot about how different aspects of health play out in our world. In a society where the word “health” has now taken on a completely new importance, it is fascinating to learn about there is more to what is considered healthy than one may typically realize. I didn’t realize, for instance, that OneHealth takes into account the state of animals as well as humans, and measures how the environment is doing in these relationships as well. Before, I had thought about diseases and their impact on humans, but I did not consider how environmental impacts can impact this spread of disease. I also did not realize the frequency of which diseases can jump between animals and humans. It was interesting to consider case studies such as salmonella outbreaks, and the impact that this can have on all aspects of our society. In an ever more interconnected world, this talk made me realize the importance of considering all possible causes and effects that an action can have.