Calligraphy Part 1

I now understand why calligraphy is something that people spend a large portion of their time practicing. It is challenging! My first round of letters took more than ten minutes because I was trying to find the right way to fluctuate the pressure that I was applying to the pen. My pen was also different from the one that was used in the video tutorial. Mine had a firm tip while the one used in the video was soft like a brush. I found myself getting frustrated because I could not replicate what was being done in the video, even with letters for my to trace. After trying the same letters multiple times, I was finally able to replicate what was both on the printed paper and the video. This particular experience was very humbling because I am someone that has never had trouble with penmanship. My natural handwriting is what many people have considered “neat,” so I was surprised to have been struggling for so long trying to get my calligraphy to look neat. Overall, I am happy that I was able to learn the logistics of calligraphy because it is something that I have always been curious to learn, but never had the courage to actually start learning.

One thought on “Calligraphy Part 1

1. I agree! I also struggled with my penmanship during the calligraphy workshop, and I also understand now why it takes so much persistence and practice. I had a similar firm-tipped marker, and that meant I had to devise new ways to get the letters to mimic what was in the video. I really enjoyed the learning experience though, and I think it is something I will continue in my free time!