Work and Dignity

This conversation between the VP of Human Resources at Cornell and Labor Relations Professor solidified the work beliefs I have.  “Work is a part of our core”, as said by Mary Opperman, I believe it is part of human dignity and agree with Professor Cornell in this manner.  This conversation opened my eyes to the many facets of human resources and human dynamics.  The pandemic opened our eyes to many inequities that need to be addressed along with the social justice opportunities that we can act upon.  For me, this conversation made me aware of the need for essential workers and the manner of our treatment of these workers. In particular, professor Cornell’s Labor Law Clinic stories are eye opening and sometimes shocking.  The need for this clinic is obvious and necessary. I am grateful to be made aware of these fantastic undertakings at Cornell.

Finally, the best advice was choose a meaningful career, choose a rewarding career – for happiness.  Do not be solely motivated by the income. Focus on the positive in your journey rather than the negative.  This is important in looking for opportunities. I also enjoyed thinking about leadership in your career.  I also thought about the expert advice.  Best advice- you don’t have to be an expert to lead something- just realize you are not the expert- and hire the best people who are the experts. The key is humility and leadership with human dignity in mind.

One thought on “Work and Dignity

1. I agree on choosing a meaningful career. In my view it is the only way to escape a Sisyphean cycle of working to live.