Queen’s Gambit ep 5

This episode is the definition of “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.” Beth finally teams up with with another rival who helps her refine her skills in preparation of facing Borgov. I think that this episode was another step in Beth’s growth because she was able to set aside her differences and work towards her goal. Beth is also a character that tends to refuse help because she believes that being able to overcome her challenges is an indication of her strength and skill in chess. In this episode, Beth has to look past her own pride in order to accept help from an opponent. In doing so, Beth also forms additional friendships and bonds because she opens herself up and puts herself in a vulnerable position. However, Beth also learns the most in opening up because she is able to take advice from others. This episode reminded me of the concept of therapy because it requires the patient or person to be willing to receive help in order to “get better.” In this case, Beth needed to want help in order to be helped.