“The Queen’s Gambit” Finale: A Bittersweet Ending

I really enjoyed watching this whole series (although I missed ep 4) and I can definitely see the hype around it when it first came out. I enjoyed watching the character development of all the characters, especially Beth, Jolene, and Harry Beltik.

Last time, I noticed how Beth was way more dependent on substance abuse to get her through life. It finally took a toll on her in episode 6 when she completely passes out in her living room, and it was painful to watch her try to hide it when going to a chess tournament, and for people around her to be concerned for her. I’m so glad when she finally quit and flushed those pills down the toilet and avoided drinking, except when she met Cleo again in Paris, and she nearly missed a match.

I liked how Beth, even as a genius chess player, still wanted to love and still wanted to look “girly” and cared about stylish clothing. In the series, it seemed like others would judge her for caring about her appearance, saying that if she cares about her appearance, she’s not that good of a player. I think that mindset still persists a bit today, especially in male-dominated fields and industries, and I’m glad Beth didn’t play into that stereotype.

I also loved Jolene’s inclusion in the 7th episode, and I love how now she seems to be Beth’s rock, and that she kept following Beth’s chess career even after Beth left Methuen. I also love how with Jolene, Beth seemed to open up more, and she let all her built up emotions out with Jolene there to comfort her, and when Benny and Harry help her at the end, she tears up with happy tears because she has her friends back. I’m glad the series ended the way it did and that Beth now has support.

One thought on ““The Queen’s Gambit” Finale: A Bittersweet Ending

1. This show played on different cliches really well, but I also am happy that Beth didn’t fall into stereotype of changing who she is to be better at chess. I thought the show would play the stereotype since it is during the Cold War, but I’m so glad they didn’t.