The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

The Pruitt-Igoe film talked about public housing and its connection to race and financial status. A great point raised was the means by which slumlords would exploit financially burdened individuals who urgently required a home, by giving homes that had horrible day to day environments. I’m astonished at how minimal guideline there was for slumlords, and how the public authority and associations in positions to help did pretty much nothingĀ  to advance day to day environments, despite the fact that the lodging circumstance was desperate and unquestionably required quick consideration. I think that government should take more responsibility on improving the socioeconomic status of residents.

2 thoughts on “The Pruitt-Igoe Myth

1. I completely agree with this idea. There should have been more oversight for the public housing community. The already vulnerable community being exploited shows how poverty really is a cycle.

2. I agree! I think a lot of it has to do with structural racism and systemic issues. The government needs to take accountability. In my opinion, the premise of the housing plan wasn’t at fault, it was the mismanagement and incompetency of the government.