Success and Housing

I have been learning a lot about in class on success and how successful a child can be and how that can all depend on where a child lives. This talk on housing in the suburbs and the city made me think a lot about my class. Where you live and how you are raised all really affect the success and outcome of a child. If you live in poverty and might not always have access to food, you are not going to focus on school and won’t do very well in class. If you live in a better off neighborhood and not in poverty, you probably have access to good food and can focus on class and do well in it. Listening to this talk helped me learn even more about what I am already learning and discussing in class.

One thought on “Success and Housing

1. I’ve noticed this topic as a recurring theme recently; recognizing the environment in which people grow up and how that affects their lives. However, I do wish that the presentations would comment on two additional important things that I think are not often noted from an outside perspective. Success in life has a lot to do with physical location, but also the familial and support network that people grow up in. Having good food and enough money means nothing if the child does not feel like they are safe at home; likewise, having little food and no money can be compounded by the same. Additionally, repeating over and over that not having the resources to do will means that you are less likely to succeed always seemed counterintuitive to me. Even though it may be true to some extent, I really believe that if children are raised to believe they have no chance because of their socioeconomic status, they will not have the motivation to do well. This is not to say that “hard work can get you anywhere,” but I do think that a logical analysis of potential is more important for long term motivation.