Cities, Culture, and Chemistry

I decided to tune into the climate (in)justice panel this week because I wanted to hear how the speakers related the current crisis to other issues of systematic racism, natural disasters, and socioeconomic inequality. Their interdisciplinary approach to the issues facing our planet today truly resonated with me. All to often, I find climate issues are discussed in the constraints of a single cause and effect model; carbon emissions cause the thermometer on the wall to increase by a degree or two. Unfortunately, I know many people who scoff at such a small number and dismiss the danger that the we are in. I liked the way that they compared the increase in temperature to having a fever. It seems so obvious that the body must function within a range of only a few degrees and it is easy to make the connection to the Earth from there. I was reminded of a video my friend sent me the other day which explained the difference between heat and temperature and noted that large bodies of water are heat reservoirs. Thus, a small increase in temperature is the result of a massive increase in heat.

As a STEM major, I especially appreciated the connection between cities, chemistry, climate, and culture. The link between fewer trees and the heat absorption properties of asphalt in urban areas leading to hotter temperatures, and a greater proportion of minorities without access to good living conditions inhabiting these areas was really relevant. I think this is an important, but largely unrecognized connection. They also mentioned the disparity between those who significantly contribute to the climate crisis and those who are most affected by it. Even if your daily routines are not affected by the affect of environmental patterns, the lives of so many others are negatively changed. Climate change is a rapidly progressing issue which needs to be addressed.