A Good Lesson for All College Students

When watching Queen’s Gambit Episode 3, I noticed something within the episode that I appreciated. When Beth started to become truly recognized as a master chess player, she did not lose her devotion to the game nor her firm grasp of the tasks at hand. I think this is emblematic of how college students need to make sure they act and think, even after gaining acceptance to a top-tier school, such as Cornell. I know that when I first got to Cornell, I questioned if I needed to work hard or do anything, as I thought I was an accomplished student that deserved my place here and could relax. It was only when the work really started to kick up that my senioritis finally fazed out and I rolled up my sleeves and studied. Therefore, I learned the lesson that just because you are among the best in the world does not mean that you can party like the richest in the world. Thus, I am glad that Beth was able to tune out the noise, at least thus far, and focus on the game the way I wish I did with my schoolwork here from the very beginning.

One thought on “A Good Lesson for All College Students

1. That’s a very interesting parallel you’ve drawn between the series and real life! The series does remind us that nobody is at the top of the world and we need to always stay humble.