The Queen’s Gambit, from someone watching it for the first time

Tonight I got the opportunity to watch the first episode of “The Queen’s Gambit” with the other Rose Scholars.  Despite all the hype surrounding this show, I somehow have never watched it, so I was very excited about this event.  Going into this, I knew little about the show’s plot other than the general premise.  Upon watching, I was surprised about the intense themes that it dealt with, in addition to how well done it was in terms of storyline and general cinematography.  While I was not expecting the entire first episode to be a flashback to her childhood, it did not seem forced but instead was really illuminating in understanding her character.  It was also crazy to see that an orphanage was getting children addicted to pills, and just to see the general bad environment that she was forced into.  In terms of plot, while there were some clichés with the “gifted child is taught by reluctant teacher” trope, I really enjoyed seeing her character development.  I also loved how the episode was put together, from the music, to the alternating shots between action and flashback, to the visualization of chess pieces on the ceiling.  This all came together to make it a really immersive and interesting first episode, and now I will definitely watch more!

3 thoughts on “The Queen’s Gambit, from someone watching it for the first time

1. I noticed how you mentioned that the kids in the orphanage were addicted to pills, I could not believe it either. The mid-twentieth century was much different than present times, giving tranquilizers to the girls in the orphanage was a step too far in the wrong direction. Overall, I do agree that this show is interesting and will definitely look forward to more episodes.

2. I was surprised at that also! I had read a description of the show beforehand but to see it incorporated in still shocked me anyway. I am interested as to how that will play out.

3. Wow! I have heard many things about this show and I regret missing this event, but your post makes me want to watch The Queen’s Gambit even more now. I have put off watching it because I don’t know how I would be interested in chess, but now I have to see it for myself.