African-American Skating Culture in “United Skates”

I watched “United Skates” for this week’s Friday Film session. It was a very moving and informative experience. First off, I thought the movie was so beautifully done. I went through so many emotions, from smiling to almost tearing up. Second, I’m so glad I watched it and I learned so much about roller skating and its connection to African-American culture. I was really surprised that I honestly didn’t know anything about it or have heard of this part of the culture until watching the film.

It was interesting to learn that roller-skating was so tied to music in the African-American community and that many of the big names that we know now started as roller-skating rink performers. It was beautiful to see people showing off their moves and to see roller-skating becoming an activity where gangs put their differences aside, African-American people came together like a family, and everyone could have a good time and relax from the stress in their lives, but heart-breaking that rinks were one-by-one closing down and people having the one constant happiness in their lives stripped away: I felt so angry and that it was unfair that racism and gentrification mostly caused all of this, even when officials heard their pleas, they still worked against them. I almost shed tears when Buddy Love of Rink City Skate announced that they would be closing during their annual skate party, and watching everyone’s emotions and seeing everyone feel heartbroken once again. I’m glad the movie ended on a good note and that they’re still fighting to keep the adult nights tradition and culture alive. I also noticed they got an Emmy nomination, and so glad and hope that it will trigger more discussion and awareness to preserve the African-American roller-skating culture.