Defining Yourself on Social Media

Last Thursday at the online persona mini-series, Sam gave a thorough description of how to display oneself online whether on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or a personal webpage. I learned the importance of not just sharing too much, but sharing enough. I generally have the fear that my Facebook reveals too much about me, so I tend to post less rather than more. Sam described how this might not be the best route, because a lack of information will still be unhelpful in a job search. If an employer can’t find anything about you online, then you may be too uninteresting to remember amount a slew of other applicants. We also talked about online biographies and how you should adjust your bio for the type of social media. A LinkedIn profile should probably be more in depth, while Twitter profile is generally short and sweet. But above all, don’t forget a defining piece of info that helps a potential employer remember who you are!

2 thoughts on “Defining Yourself on Social Media

1. I enjoyed reading your post. You brought up an interesting point about posting less on social media yet wanting to give potential employers something to distinguish you from other candidates. I agree with you that we should strive to give potential employers something to remember us by.

2. This is a really cool concept to think about; While I also am not super active on social media, I do have a Twitter and Facebook. Maybe I should make a linked in just for future use? The issue with me is that if I make it, I know I won’t spend the necessary time to keep it up. So maybe it would be best to make the account once I really need it.