Sketching on the Arts Quad

This week’s Rose event that I attended was the sketching event on the Arts Quad. I have previously taken a few drawing lessons in the past, but have not practiced in a while. At the event, we were taught a bit about two point and one point perspective and how it appears on paper. GRF Seema demonstrated a bit on paper how to draw a one and two point perspective before we attempted sketching ourselves. I thought it was interesting to hear about perspectives, since many times while walking on campus, I do not pay attention to how the buildings around me appear to my eye and what the visual effect of perspectives are. Understanding how to draw perspectives also helped me better understand the appearance and visual of the campus around me.

In addition, actually drawing out one of the buildings on the Arts Quad revealed some of the details on the building that I have not noticed before. When I was trying to look carefully at the buildings, there are many details and nuances in the building structure and appearance that usually are not noticed while walking past everyday. I think that this event was able to help me be more aware of my surroundings and be more appreciative of the beautiful architecture that is present on campus. There are many aspects of campus that many seem to take for granted, architecture being one of them. It was also a great experience as a study break and to take some time to revisit an old hobby. It was a good reminder of some drawing skills and visual analysis skills as well, which are not only important in drawing but also in other areas of study. I was glad I was able to learn more about the process of sketching architecture and the details that are present around me.