Simplicity is a Strength

I appreciated Pather Panchali for its simple style and for its tone. The film depicts the day to day life of Apu, his older sister Durga, and his parents. While the film contains tragic elements, including the death of Durga from an illness, it also depicts day to day life and simple pleasures. The characterization in the film is impressive, as is the realism achieved.

I particularly appreciated the film’s depiction of family life, and especially the way conflicts and family disagreements were handled. In one scene, Durga is accused by a neighbor of stealing a bead necklace. Durga denies this; however, she has a reputation for stealing fruit from a neighbor’s orchard. The neighbor accuses Durga’s mother, Sarbajaya, of encouraging her tendency to steal. Embarrassed by the neighbor’s accusation, Sarbajaya throws Durga out of the house. The next scene shows Sarbajaya telling Apu to find Durga and tell her that her dinner is ready. There is no depiction of Durga and Sarbajaya making amends. I felt this was an accurate depiction of the way family members, though they may become angry with each other, and may harbor significant disagreements or feelings of disapproval towards each other, put aside negative feelings. While there may never be an explicit reconciliation, over time hostilities fade, and life goes on. Your family is your family, even when they anger or disappoint you. I liked that the film’s treatment of the event was not overly emotional. The film’s treatment of family relationships, and of the strain that exists in these relationships, is impressive.

I also enjoyed the depiction of the relationship between Durga and Apu. The film captured the affection and irritation that exists between siblings well.

Pather Panchali was filmed by an amateur cameraman, and features mostly amateur actors. However, the film does not seem “amateurish” or poorly made. The style of the film is simple, but the simplicity of the film only enhances its realism. I was quite impressed by what the cast, crew, and director could accomplish. Had I not been told beforehand that the film had been made by an inexperienced crew, I would not have assumed so.

Pather Panchali is an excellent film, with strong characterization. I would highly recommend watching it.

One thought on “Simplicity is a Strength

1. I was also impressed by the scene that the mother regretted in the next minute and I completely agree that such simplicity has its impact telling the inside emotions and values.