Let’s Talk about STRESS

On Tuesday I attended a table talk about stress during dinner at Rose house dining (delicious, always.) The word “stress” is thrown around on a daily basis here at Cornell, so I feel that the strength of the word has been significantly watered down. In my opinion, stress should not be a normal condition for anyone, and I make a conscious effort to not let it sneak itself into my consciousness every day.

The talk was refreshing because we didn’t focus much on actual stress, but rather ways we individually combat it. Some people mentioned they enjoy going for walks and some said they just need to turn the TV on for a distraction. It was interesting to see that across a span of majors ranging from plant biology to economics, we all share the same sentiments about academics, competition, and prelims. Another topic that was brought up in relation to stress was the competitive atmosphere of pretty much anything at Cornell. Even joining a club requires resume perfecting, interviewing, and evaluations. Because of this, we find that even fun outlets like clubs can create a unique form of stress. I think as an institution we can do better in creating environments that don’t require prerequisites or previous experience to get involved. If the goal is to have fun, everyone should be welcome!

3 thoughts on “Let’s Talk about STRESS

1. its very true that “stress” shouldn’t be a norm in everyday life! its great to know that people have found ways to combat this though!

2. It’s definitely true that stress is a big problem on college campuses and that everyone needs a method of relieving it. I’m a little cautious of saying that all stress is bad though. The word has a lot of negative connotations, but lot of things just wouldn’t get done without deadlines. Of course, you’re definitely right that too much stress is unhealthy and that the competitive environment of Cornell elevates stress.

3. It makes me feel a little bit better if I am not the only one experiencing stress and therefore I might like to study at an open table with other students, have group homework finished together and go to office hours and talk with people.