Decoding our Genetics

The NOVA episode Cracking Your Genetic Code brings to light a lot of interesting topics. One I found specifically fascinating was do we want to find things out about ourselves via genetic testing? Personally while I think it would be fascinating I think a lot of people would turn into hypochondriacs. I don’t really want to know what my risk of developing a certain disease is. I could spend my entire life worrying about a disease that I may never actually contract. The film brought up another good point from the opposite point of view if I am at a lower risk for developing heart disease my lifestyle choices may change leg. eating high fat foods which would increase my risks. If you spend your whole life worrying about a disease or condition you may have in the future and worry about it now whether or not you get the disease it has ruined your life because you were obsessing about it. Also the idea of privacy. Your DNA is unique to you and potential having your genetic results end up as a matter of public record one day is scary. Right now DNA testing  for research is anonymous but genetic testing could be used against you. If you have a high risk of developing a disease you might be denied health insurance and with all the problems already occurring with healthcare in the United States do we really need more problems?

3 thoughts on “Decoding our Genetics

1. I definitely agree with what you said about not wanting to know what your likelihood of getting a disease is. I feel like it would just add unnecessary stress, especially if it is a disease that you cannot take steps to prevent!

2. Certainly if genetic tests becomes public that would be undesirable, but I’m not sure if that’s the direction things are headed. Nonetheless, I see your point about genetic testing, but I imagine it would vary from person to person. Some may want to have more knowledge of the future while others may not.

3. I totally agree with you about the fear of guessing or estimating the unknown potential disease which could sometimes be even worse than actually having one.