Stop and Smell the Gardens

The tour of the Botanical Gardens was fantastic. Our tour guide Betty was such a cute little old lady and she reminded me so much of my grandma. So right off the bat, I knew I was going to enjoy this activity. There is a study going on in a part of the garden to test the effects of climate change. Several species of plants were planted inside a greenhouse tunnel and outdoors. Betty thought it was fascinating how some plants really didn’t flourish inside the tunnel, and her enthusiastic mannerism talking about it only grasped my interest more. One fun fact I learned on the tour that I will never forget for the rest of my life is that slugs love beer. Slugs are big pests in the gardens and eat holes in many of the plant leaves. Betty told us that in her garden she leaves a bowl of beer for the slugs and they drown in it. Even though the Botanical Gardens are too big to treat for slugs and other pests, thanks to Betty  if I ever decide to plant my own personal garden I’ll have a cheap, feasible solution to deal with these pests.