A Saturday Done Right

As a transfer student coming all the way from Miami, Florida (yep, you read that right), I spent months mentally preparing myself for a huge lifestyle change. I had done extensive research about Cornell and Ithaca at large so finally being on campus almost felt surreal. After becoming a Rose Scholar, I was excited to be able to try everything Ithaca had to offer, especially with fellow students in the Rose community. After first hearing about this event I was excited about this opportunity because I had never attended a farmers market before. Not only would I be seeing a farmers market for the first time, but I would be seeing one that is considered to be one of the best markets in the whole state of New York.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of vendors and variety of products that were featured at the market. One of the first stations that I saw featured a Cuban food vendor. I’m Cuban so seeing this stand instantly made my day and after tasting the delicious sandwich I ordered, I felt like I was right back home. Seeing hundreds of people walking around with their family and friends and sitting by the water enjoying the delicious food while listening to live music was a wonderful way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I was especially excited when I learned that the farmers market is a frequent event that we could attend on the weekends. I’m grateful that I was able to experience one of Ithaca’s greatest features so early on in my time here and I’m looking forward to learning more about Ithaca’s unique culture.

One thought on “A Saturday Done Right

1. I agree! I was excited when I saw Cuban food as well, and it did not disappoint it was very good. I cannot believe you are from Miami the winter is going to be tough! What was your favorite part of the market besides the Cuban Food? Did you buy anything? I am interested in going back to the farmers market before it closes if you are!