Exploring the Ithaca Farmer’s Market

When I first visited Ithaca two years ago, I made my first trip to the Farmer’s Market. I remember taking the TCAT there and walking around for a bit, but not buying too much besides this one souvenir shirt. At the time, I had no idea about how important the Farmer’s Market was to the Ithaca community and to the vendors. Before our walk there last Saturday, Shiv and Sam told us a bit about how the Farmer’s Market served as a gathering place for people from all over upstate New York and how some vendors traveled for 50 miles to sell their products to the local Ithaca community. Back at home, we have a farmer’s market, but it serves as just a busy grocery store with very minimal authenticity behind it. The Ithaca Farmer’s Market has a great, outdoor atmosphere that is unlike any food market that I have ever visited. Additionally, it is really an outlet for people from all-over, and a unique old-fashioned way to sell great food and other products.

One of my favorite parts of the trip to the Farmer’s Market was the water-front scenery. As we approached the market, we traveled alone a peaceful, scenic path overlooking a nice body of water. Once we arrived, I got to try some of the delicious food, that I must say was offered at great prices. I had a burrito and sweet crepe. The vendors do not need any fancy kitchens or appliances to treat Ithaca residents with delicious food, as they have perfected their craft by working with such limited space. This truly amazes me. It also surprised me at how well the vendors dealt with large crows. Almost each stand had very long lines, yet all vendors were always friendly and handled everyone with haste. I look forward to going back to the Farmer’s Market and trying some different offerings.

One thought on “Exploring the Ithaca Farmer’s Market

1. A really nice piece! I’ve never been to farmer’s market before but from your words I can read how beautiful it is. I should definitely go sometime (before winter ha.)