The Availability to All Resources Is Not Always Good

I am really not a big fan of science fictions but I really do enjoy the Black Mirror.

While almost everyday I wish to have a better memory which can record all the formulas in Mathematics so I don’t need to review the old stuff again and again, which can memorize all the names of people I met so I can feel free to greet anyone on the road and which can actually store all the good memories I had before since I kind of can’t remember my preschool days now.

Before seeing the Black Mirror, we had a small discussion on whether we want to have those skill -everyone has access to a memory implant that records everything they do, see and hear. At that time, I thought that skill was pretty cool and didn’t think about the negative aspects. All I could thought of is what I couldn’t reach before could be reached now. Until the part that the man is having an interview, I still think it’s a great skill since you can actually replay that scene and see if three interviewers are paying attention, to know their final decision. Also, we used to have limited attention on one or two person but with the ‘replay’ clicker, we could now observe more people, more small details that we tend to neglect.

However, the latter part of the film actually more emphasizes the negative aspect of that skill and made me to think the interesting functionalism between human interaction. With the ability of keeping privacy, people can actually avoid some tension of telling the truth and become closer with each other. And the availability to all resources is not always good since it also exposes your own resource to others and leaves you no room to have your own secrets. When everything has to be transparent, the life gets tougher since you have to always behave the same and everyone else surrounding is watching at you which really causes a lot of stress and intension.

One thought on “The Availability to All Resources Is Not Always Good

1. I really like your analysis of the pros and cons of the technology this film has to offer. As you say, the way the technology in this episode manifests with both positive and negative outcomes is very applicable to our current world. It is also interesting what you say about privacy — I wonder if the technology was originally intended for sharing, and if so, how would the world have been different if people did not have the ability to share their memories or if people had more respect for each other’s privacy.