Health Care

I  participated in a session that discussed Health care in the US which is an extremely important topic still debated as everyone needs access to health care, yet there is major disagreement on how to achieve it.We first discussed whether health care was a “right”. Whether all individuals should be entitled to health care, despite socioeconomic differences. Based on the article that we read, the majority of Americans believe that people should have access to healthcare, yet the concern is that there will be those that will take advantage of the system.  As the Americans’ interviewed expressed a similar belief in not wanting to have their taxes be utilized for individuals that would not work to defray costs due to medical expenses. Therein lies a major problem for the politicians: how to make health care coverage accessible to all, but make it affordable. Yet the greatest problem arises from the medical institutions/ insurance companies. As the majority of healthcare payments in lost due to administrative work between insurance companies that offer different plans for the same benefits. If the government could offer a basic plan that companies could abide by so that the people’s taxes could go directly towards funding their healthcare/medicine/surgeries, the US would be able to have a universal health care system that would not bankrupt the nation.

2 thoughts on “Health Care

1. This topic is definitely one that the US is constantly debating, especially with recent events. I can definitely see how payments could be lost through administrative work, and the many different types of healthcare plans can be especially confusing for first time buyers. Hopefully a more simple, streamlined healthcare system can be implemented one day.

2. I wish I had been at this talk because it’s such a relevant and hot topic (everyone needs healthcare!). But also, it makes me think about the fact I do take healthcare for granted–a lot of people do not have access to it. I know this is a big issue in politics but I also really hope that politicans can find a solution to it soon because there are human lives at stake!