Many Backgrounds, One University

On Wednesday, I had the chance to participate in an engaging discussion with Stephan Schmidt.  Initially, I thought this talk would be centered around Stephan’s research and his opinion on environmental design and land planning.  Instead, he decided to go around the room and ask each one of us to describe our hometowns.  In doing so, I learned about everyone’s background and how different they were to mine.

While some of us grew up in urban centers like Brooklyn, others were originally from rural parts of India.  This gave me context as to how I viewed my community.  As a resident of Long Island, one problem my community is facing is the aging population.  Unfortunately, due to the high cost of living, young people who cannot afford the taxes of Nassau and Suffolk County move to the city.  I was able to express this concern to Stephan, and as a former Long Island resident himself, he understood the problem of the region.

Another part of our discussion was looking at Ithaca and its land planning.  I thought it was surprising when Stephan asked the question “who owns a car?”, and the only person to raise his hand was House Professor Blalock.  We then discussed how not having our own cars on campus made us dependent on public transportation.  Consequently, going to stores like Target and Walmart are not as easy.

One thought on “Many Backgrounds, One University

1. I agree that trying to go to stores like Target and Walmart is super difficult without cars. I am a transfer student from the university of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and the bus system there was many times better than the TCAT. The busses came frequently and was always on time. Therefore, I am super used to relying on the public transportation to get to places that are too far to walk.

In addition, I am from a town about 20 minutes north of Chicago and I think that we are facing a similar problem where everyone who lives in Glenview are parents and all the kids are moving to Chicago because the taxes in Glenview are too high. Maybe after the kids make a little more money they can move back.