What About Healthcare?

I had the opportunity to participate in a table talk last week that discussed healthcare in the United States.  We first talked about how healthcare should be a right of all US citizens, but we couldn’t agree on an effective application of it to benefit the most people.  We soon moved on to talk specifically about the Affordable Care Act.  The thing that was interesting about this part of our conversation was that the various people at the table had different opinions of it.  I realized that, like any other debate, there are going to be people who appreciate the Affordable Care Act and others who dislike it and want it to be gotten rid of: what we have to realize is that there will always be people who object to a healthcare plan, but we need to still create (or revise) something that will benefit the most people.

As I heard the thoughts of some of the other students at the table, I was impressed by how much they knew about the situation and what perspectives they provided us about healthcare in this country.  Since most of this information was new to me, I realized that I in fact know little about this subject: I decided that I must become a more informed citizen so that I can have rational conversations with people that have similar and differing opinions on the subject.  It would be nice to have more dinner conservations with my friends like this one.