I am CPR Certified!!

On Saturday my roommate and I woke up bright early to go to the main Rose House for CPR certification. I am pre-med and I’ve never done anything like this, so I was beyond excited. Cornell EMS was wonderful as they clearly explained the importance of CPR, and how important it is that we are prepared in case anything happens. They also explained that there is a kit in every dining hall of Cornell and one by Goldies in Clark Hall.

After we were prepped and seen an example of how to breathe in and do compressions it was time to practice on the dummy! I was so nervous but I was ecstatic when the dummy’s chest rose, as it means I was doing it correctly. It was awesome hearing everyone practice yelling at the dummy and doing compressions at the same time. The CPR instructor said he was really impressed with our group. After we were ready we had individual tests, and I passed!

This was such a wonderful experience!

5 thoughts on “I am CPR Certified!!

1. Last year I also participated in a CPR class and became certified. Similar to you, I was very excited when I learned I could potentially save a life if the situation arose. I didn’t know that there were kits in every dining hall at Cornell. While no one ever wants to imagine themselves performing these procedures, it is incredibly important to be prepared. I am glad that you enjoyed the experience!

2. This was a great experience for me too. I also was excited seeing the dummy’s chest rise as I breathed into the mouthpiece. After this class, I find myself being more aware of my surroundings, noticing where AEDs are located in the buildings I walk through, in case a situation arises. It feels very rewarding to be prepared for these situations where CPR is needed.

3. I really wish I could have come. I have always wanted to be CPR certified, as there is always an use in being able to help people. Congratulations!!

4. I really wish I was able to go. CPR Training is such an important skill to have. This reminds of me of in health class during high school where my teacher discussed how many times when someone is having a heart attack, people don’t offer to help because they say that they don;t know if they are doing CPR “correctly”, but how just doing any form of “CPR” can help save lives. I believe that just getting the certification makes people more confident, but this certification will also allow you to encourage people about how everybody can get involved in CPR not just doctors, or certified people because I believe that there is still some stigma about that.

5. I’m glad you were able to become CPR-certified. I believe it is something that everyone should be because it allows anyone to become involved in measures that can potentially save human lives.