Modern Primitivism

This week’s Rose Café was led by GRF Sam Lagasse. He is pursuing his PhD in English literature and introduced us to the idea of “Modern Primitivism.” He showed us videos of the Tiller girls and other pictures within the timeline of focus – highlighting how women taking on masculine roles affected other men and their reaction to this. I found the whole talk really interesting to think in a modern context, especially when he said that people often put old times/nostalgic times on a pedestal and try to emulate it – hence museums, and the fact we have large cell phones despite what previous generations/centuries would have thought about them. I think in a more modern way – this generation emulates vintage items. Record players, dressing, certain types of music, etc. It was also great to learn about something completely new, and not within my typical field. It is also interesting to see what one of our GRFs studies on a day to day basis!

One thought on “Modern Primitivism

1. I also attended this event and thought it was interesting that our generation tries to place more value on vintage items. I also thought it was interesting how research takes on very different forms in different fields.