The Rising Costs of Healthcare

As a financial dependent who has not needed anything beyond regular checkups, I’ve have remained largely ignorant to the price of healthcare in this country. I follow the news and I know that many people are struggling, but I was not aware how much of health care costs exist just because someone somewhere wants a bigger profit. I’ve heard about Martin Skhreli and his absurd price hike for one drug, but I was surprised to hear how common big price hikes for life-saving drugs/operations are and the lack of legislation prohibiting such actions.

Some of the price is explained by the cost of facilities, but it is clear that many design choices in hospital construction were not made in order to deliver better care. It’s ridiculous to charge a patient for a fancy chair they’ll never sit in or their families for an experience they clearly didn’t want in the first place.

I’m definitely in agreement with Dr. Rosenthal that the healthcare system is dysfunctional, but I don’t think her tips for patient questions would have quite as big an effect as she hopes. Many patients and their families don’t have time to go looking up any information they might need, and they clearly can’t always rely on their doctors or hospitals to tell them the full truth. Dr. Rosenthal’s advice may spread awareness and get patients and doctors more knowledgeable about pricing, but some kind of reform is necessary on a higher level to punish predatory business practices or else change just won’t happen. As she brought up, individual patients are just not significant enough for insurers or pharmaceutical companies to care.

One thought on “The Rising Costs of Healthcare

1. I totally agree with you! I just came back from the event and found it very disturbing that an inhaler went from 10 dollars to 100 dollars while the device remained the same. I think it is very important we stay conscious so we make a change!