Genetically Modified Salmon

Last week I had the chance to sit down with Tyler and a few Rose Scholars to discuss the impact of genetically modified salmon in the Canadian market.  Before I walked into the dining hall room, I had read the recommended article and started to formulate my opinion on the topic.  Initially, I was not in favor of genetically modifying animals such as salmon.  I thought the idea of altering the genetic code of animals is a slippery path, but I was curious to hear others’ opinion.

When I sat down with the group, I heard the different arguments for genetically modified salmon and realized that this food source will be eventually viewed as genetically modified crops.  Initially, consumers like myself will have the idea that genetically modified organisms are unnatural.  However, it is important to note that animals are currently being injected with chemicals harmful to consumers.  I believe that if companies selling genetically modified salmon are priced lower than their natural counterparts, people will respond to the incentives and purchase the salmon.

I enjoyed this discussion with the other Rose Scholars and it was interesting to hear everyone’s opinions.  I thought our discussion on the environmental risk of introducing genetically modified salmon was particularly interesting.  In conclusion, while genetically modifying animals could present new opportunities, it could also disrupt the natural ecosystem.