The Future of Ithaca

I entered  John Schroeder’s coffee hour ready to learn about upcoming developments impacting the Cornell student body. Fortunately, our discussion was not relegated to just what affects Cornell, as we touched upon topics affecting Ithaca and beyond. Schroeder opened with discussing the rich history of Cornell developments, starting from 1880. Quickly, we dove into the reasons why Cornell developed the way it did, why certain developers become prominent, and which parts of Ithaca served Cornell students. The conversation then took a controversial turn, as students began to contest the validity of zoning laws. However, I am thankful for this contention, because as a group we were able to discuss how and why zoning laws are useful, why buildings are built the way they are, and what the future holds for Ithaca. After this conversation with Schroeder, I can say with confidence that I am excited to see future developments in Ithaca and hope that with this housing boom and modernization, Ithaca is able to entice alumni into staying.

2 thoughts on “The Future of Ithaca

1. I wish I’d gone to learn the benefits of zoning laws! At first glance they seem slightly repressive.

2. I wish I had been able to attend this event! I would have loved to learn more about the greater Ithaca community, especially about how the city is developing over time as a prominent college town. In some ways I really do feel like Cornell is a bubble—we are pretty far removed from Ithaca itself, both physically and mentally. I personally feel it would be beneficial to Cornell students to be more integrated into Ithaca community, at least enough so that we are more educated about the issues affecting the the other people living all around us.