Cascadilla Hike

Going on the Cascadilla gorge hike last weekend was a great opportunity to learn about the history of the gorge and also information on enjoying nature on campus. I had crossed above the gorge to get from central campus to Collegetown many times, but this was the first time that I actually explored the trail below the bridge. Some things about my trip which stood out to me:

1. I was amazed by the way that sections of the gorge look like sets of stairs and that this is actually the work of nature. The gorge is continually formed by natural phenomenon ranging from as old as when the region was covered by a glacier to as recent as strong hurricane activity.
  2. I was surprised to find that hiking on the gorge trail is a kind of communal activity. I encountered people of all ages engaging with nature in different ways; whether it was by splashing in ankle deep portions of the gorge, taking photographs of the scenery, or going for a brisk walk. It was refreshing to see people enjoy the world around them.
  3. This experience gave me a better sense of the geography of / around Cornell. For instance, on the way back to my dorm I cut through the Ithaca City Cemetery which I had never realized was right by west. The cemetery is a really interesting place in which participants in the civil war and freed slaves are buried. There is history all around campus which I miss.

One thought on “Cascadilla Hike

1. Thank you for sharing about your experience with the Cascadilla trail! I went there for the first time over Labor Day because my family came to visit, but otherwise would probably not have discovered or gone on this trail. I thought it was pretty astounding that the stairs in the trail were mostly shaped by nature and not man-made.