Looking Into the Future: A Show About Looking Back

White contact lenses or brain projections? An obsessive alcoholic or a concerned husband? The futuristic show “Black Mirror” showed one snapshot of life in a world with constant sensory recordings. The show combined fantastic cinematography with an interesting view of the future; I was constantly on the edge of my seat with fear that the show’s technology had destroyed the main character’s life. As a unmarried young woman I somehow felt the same intrigue as the middle-aged husband playing back his wife’s actions, the same anger when he realized her infidelity, and the same nostalgia when the couple separated. I couldn’t help but wonder, does “Black Mirror” make an important statement about ignorance?

The show encouraged thought about obsessing over human actions: is obsession healthy, or if it comes to a true conclusion is it worth the pain? The main character’s obsession over his wife’s body language around her lover ultimately led to their separation and immense heartbreak. Without this technology, the husband would have been spared the pain, but would he have been better off? Ethically, I believe that although the technology caused pain, the information makes life experiences more authentic, and more worth living.

2 thoughts on “Looking Into the Future: A Show About Looking Back

1. Very interesting observation and I couldn’t agree more. To expand on this point, in my opinion, Black Mirror attempts to present the potential reprecussions of advanced technology. While the common preconception might be that technology will ultimately improve our interpersonal experiences, in fact, the show attempts to point out that these innovations may actually endanger what we hold near and dear. It prompts us to stay wary of getting too comfortable with technology.

• I completely agree! Black Mirror illustrates the dangers of focusing too much on matters that — in reality — do not mean much. The show is important as it brings its viewers back to reality as they often identify any parallels between what the characters do in the show and what they do themselves.