Stopped to Smell the Roses

One of the first places I explored on campus was the botanic gardens. On move-in day my family decided they wanted to take a nice stroll around the garden. Going on a tour the second time around this past weekend, was a different experience than my first. I actually learned about the specific properties of the plants and flowers and took the time to stop and appreciate the variety of plants the garden has to offer. I was very fascinated by the scented plants, one of them being the lemon scented one. The most interesting information I learned about however, was the architecture of the welcome center. It is a gold rated LEEDs building meaning that it is built to be environment friendly. I was particularly impressed with how the building is kept cool without AC!

This trip to the botanical gardens served as a calming break from the busyness of school and work. I enjoyed taking the time to appreciate the nature we have here right on campus. I plan to go back to the garden in the winter time to see the winter garden portion with the various different pine trees.