The Microeconomics of Education and Family Income

Dinner with Dr. Dambala Kutela was an enlightening introduction to not only Dr. Kutela’s specific research or Ethiopian socioeconomic issues, but those faced by many agrarian countries that have been left behind in the tide of globalization. Dr. Kutela explained how seemingly irrelevant phenomenons, specifically climate change, are influencing who gets educated.

Even education, the great equalizer, is not immune to the effects of the butterfly effect.

It was inspiring to hear how at the age of 14 Dr. Kutela first began his education- from the first grade. It’s humbling to know that what is offered to me on a silver spoon is something the rest of the world attains like its a luxury. It’s a luxury for some people my exact age in the world to know what place they occupy in this world and of what is actually out there physically and/or metaphysically.

2 thoughts on “The Microeconomics of Education and Family Income

1. Interesting thoughts on your discussion. I do agree that we take for granted what we see as normal, such as access to higher education, while others see these things as luxuries. Moving forward, I will definitely take a step back and appreciate the little things in my life, like my education, that others cannot reach due to the social, economic, and political factors facing them.

2. IIIII tI agree with your insight and observation. I also think that it’s really important for us to remember how did we get to this point of development in the society, where we don’t need to worry about education, many potential risks, because of a complete social system that we have. However, it’s also unresting to know that there are people especially children in the world who are unable to have the same basic opportunities as we did, and it really drives me to think of what we could do to change this, as what Dr.Kutale is working on.