Ithaca Farmers Market: Insight into the Ithaca Community

A lively fiddle tune fluttered through the breeze as our small group of Rose residents reached the Ithaca Farmer’s Market at around midday last Saturday. Setup under a wooden pavilion, the market was made-up of many stalls selling almost every local product available, from fresh honey to Sri Lankan cuisine and homemade cheese. A large crowd of people wandered between stalls, talking, eating, laughing and enjoying themselves.

The overall atmosphere of the market surprised me because I had expected something much smaller, less crowded and less inviting. Instead, I found it to be cozy and lively with a wide variety of items sold. It’s, therefore, not surprising that it is rated to be one of the best farmers markets in New York and America, itself.  It was extremely relaxing to partake in such a casual weekend activity beyond social life at Cornell. Seeing the tourists and families walking around the market reminded me that Ithaca is not simply what we see at Cornell. The residents of Ithaca have a radically different experience of the city than I do. Walking through the residential areas surrounding the market to on my way there, I realized that I spend about 10 months of my life in a city that I know so little about. I want to see myself as a resident of Ithaca community in addition to the Cornell community. Luckily with events like the farmers market, it should be easy to explore Ithaca more thoroughly in my remaining three years here.

Honey Stall at the Market