A girl was wearing a floral top and a bee tried

I’ve been to the botanical gardens a few times so I thought I wouldn’t have much too learn on this tour- I was wrong.

I never knew that the first woman to receive an unshared Nobel Prize was from Cornell. Barbara McClintock broke through barriers, she was one of the first women in Cornell’s history to study plant breeding. A few feet away from the Nevin Center, at the Botanical Gardens, stands her lab where she discovered ‘jumping genes’  or genetic transposition.

I pass that lab a few times during the week, but its inspiring to know the story behind it. Another piece of Cornell has been humanized to me.

2 thoughts on “A girl was wearing a floral top and a bee tried

1. It’s really amazing to learn these little “background” stores about different things we see on campus. It definitely adds inspiration to our experience here. I previously did not know this piece of information, and it’s an inspiring thought that makes Cornell even more special. Something cool I found out about Cornell that I did not previously know was that Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an alumna!