Ithaca Farmer’s Market

My trip to the Ithaca farmer’s market last Saturday was a really fun and rewarding experience. The farmer’s market had a quaint feel to it, with its wooden walls and ceiling and small stalls. All the sellers were super friendly and very eager to help me with various questions I had about what they were selling. Interacting with everyone reminded me a lot of being back home in Minnesota. The stereotype of being “Minnesota nice” holds very true: everyone greets you with a chipper “hi” or “hello” and everyone says their “please and thank you’s”. I sadly cannot say the same about Cornell. It isn’t a bad thing- everyone’s stressed and busy with schoolwork and classes, so people don’t stop to be polite. The farmer’s market also felt very calm and peaceful- it wasn’t too crowded and wasn’t too loud, and you could hear acoustic guitar being played outside the market. In the serene atmosphere of the farmer’s market I forgot about all my work and felt free to wander about.

The market was very rewarding for my stomach. I got many different kinds of food. I started off my journey with kombucha, which was delicious. It’s tart taste proved it to be much fresher and more authentic than commercial kombucha brands, which in comparison are a couple grams of sugar short of being considered a soda. I then had a garlic herb pizza for lunch, and finished with a chocolate coconut macaroon for desert. Unfortunately, my appetite was finite, and I could not try many other tasty dishes I saw at the market. I look forward to going there in the future to try chocolate croissants, milkshakes, Thai food, and more.

One thought on “Ithaca Farmer’s Market

1. I have to agree with you, everyone running the stalls was quite nice! I don’t agree, however, that Cornell doesn’t reciprocate the enthusiasm and welcome that the farmer’s market may have for you. At the farmer’s market we were approaching individuals who were trying to sell us goods; if at Cornell you approach a dining staff at Trillium, or perhaps go by a table set up at ClubFest, you’d see similar enthusiasm.