Not your Average Market

Truly a gem of Ithaca, the Ithaca Farmers Market is one of the county’s most precious establishments of the summer and fall seasons. Located under a large open pavilion adjacent to the waterfront, the Ithaca Farmers Market provides a space for over 150 vendors to sell their wares ranging from fresh vegetables, to meats, to fungi, to honey, pastries, tapestries and more all under one roof. The market has grown considerably since its establishment in 1973, and each week it attracts thousands of patrons, many of whom travel from outside of Ithaca just to visit the market. From this, the Ithaca Farmers Market forms a crucial backbone of the agritourism sector as it connects farmers and artisans from within 30 miles of Ithaca with members of community on a weekly basis.

On my trip down to the market, I had the pleasure of purchasing some delicious ground cherries (Physalis) and eating them fresh as I explored the market. Ground cherries (a husked fruit found in the same family as tomato) are just a single example of some of the unusual produce that can be found weekly at the market. After running into a friend from Ithaca College (one can never go to the market without seeing at least one familiar face amongst the hundreds), I enjoyed a fresh baked sweet roll and purchased a new plant for my room–night blooming jasmine cultivated at a nearby nursery. Before heading back, I took the time to enjoy some of the local musicians playing by the waterfront. The Ithaca Farmers Market is not your average quaint countryside market; it is instead a bustling hub showcasing a wonderful variety of goods so diverse that there is certainly something to pique the interest of just about anyone.

One thought on “Not your Average Market

1. I also enjoy ground cherries. Have you ever picked them? They are cultivated by collecting the fruit that has fallen off of the bush! You should leave this post as a review on the Ithaca Farmers Market Facebook page; this sounds like a five star experience.