Imminent Societal Problems with Advancing Technology

I had never seen Black Mirror before, so I was not sure what to expect. However, I was pleasantly surprised! It reminded me of a modern Twilight Zone. The episode left me pondering the effects new technology has on society. As we’ve seen with social media and cyberbullying, a plethora of problems can arise. Nevertheless, I don’t think that the crazy main character’s obsession over his wife’s cheating was a direct consequence of the camera in his brain. That obsession would have been there regardless of his ability to film her interactions and if anything, it helped him find out the truth. If I was offered such a device I would definitely take it. The device could also be a tremendous boon to detectives and the police. I really enjoyed this episode and will definitely begin watching Black Mirror.

2 thoughts on “Imminent Societal Problems with Advancing Technology

1. Very interesting interpretation! I like your mention of cyberbullying, I didn’t think about that aspect of the film!

2. I definitely think that the protagonist would have obsessed over his wife’s unfaithfulness with or without the technology! However, I do think that his obsession was exacerbated by the technology.

Also, I totally agree that this technology would be of great help in solving crimes!