Carrie Fisher with a Rocket Launcher

The Blues Brothers is one of the most absurd pieces of cinema I have ever seen, and yet I found myself enjoying its pure madness due to how the movie goes explicitly out of its way to not take itself too seriously. From a levitating nun, to over-the-top car chases through a mall, and (certainly my most favorite of all) Carrie Fisher randomly appearing with a rocket launcher, this movie is madness distilled into a film. Yet despite its absurdities, I believe this film overall was a celebration of jazz and the Blues and the culture (particularly Black culture) that is infused within such music.  The narrative centered around two brothers embarking on a wild journey to reassemble their Blues band in the face of adversity from violent police, country singers (an embodiment of traditional southern white music), and even Nazis. Although released in 1980, these antagonizing forces have become all too relevant in very recent history, making viewing this movie quite timely. The Blues Brothers does an excellent job of noting these poignant realities while also making sure to belittle them in the most amusing of ways. Overall, this film was quite enjoyable–meriting its rather long viewing time–and it places particular emphasis on key themes that are all too relatable 37 years later.

2 thoughts on “Carrie Fisher with a Rocket Launcher

1. While I have never seen The Blues Brothers, I have heard a great deal about the comedy in it. However, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard anyone discuss the hidden meaning that you do in your post. This certainly puts the outlandish comedy in a new light, making me want to see it even more.

2. I saw this movie last friday as well and enjoyed your perspective on it. I find it interesting to hear that you found the movie absurd as I did, yet this worked for you because I left with a more negative impressions of the film. If the difference in opinion doesn’t come from seeing the movie as ludicrous, perhaps it’s from the difference in cultural themes we picked up as I know very little jazz and was unable to recognize the celebrities and pop-culture references made.