The Benefits of Massage Therapy

Someone once told me that a massage is to the human body what a tune-up is to a car. The benefits of massages, however, go beyond just physical. Along with physical benefits, there are emotional and even mental benefits of getting a massage.

Physically, massage therapy is designed to stretch and loosen muscles. It also improves blood flow. It can also facilitate the removal of metabolic wastes and increase the flow of oxygen and nutrients to our cells. Of course, massage therapy results in the release of endorphins–the body’s natural stress/pain reliever!

Emotionally and mentally, massage therapy provides relaxation and reduces mental stress. This reduction can enhance our capacity for thinking and creativity. This therapy is also known to reduce anxiety levels, giving us an overall “feel-good” mentality.

2 thoughts on “The Benefits of Massage Therapy

1. This is probably one of the events at Rose I am most disappointed I couldn’t attend. I always see massages being offered at Willard Straight, and never have time, but I feel like it would greatly help reduce my stress. Even if for a few minutes, this sounds like a very effective way to calm down both physically and emotionally, and I certainly hope Rose has an event like this in the future so I can experience the benefits myself.

2. I really found the massage beneficial, I can see how it would increase blood flow, and why that is useful. I liked your post because it goes into the reason why the massage helps. Thanks for your insight.