Questions about communal living

One of the questions Professor Schmidt posed at the beginning of the discussion on Wednesday involved the extent to which our living environment (the place in which we live) affects our behavior and lifestyle choices, e.g. our recreation, diet, etc. He motivated the question by having us think about the differences in our lifestyle living in Ithaca versus living back home. In an exercise with his students, Professor Schmidt sometimes also suggests calculating carbon footprint. Although he didn’t do this with us, Professor Schmidt said that in most cases with his students, their carbon footprint is much less here in Ithaca than back home. This was a bit surprising, but then again, most college students are able to walk to campus and classes and hence probably don’t use any kind of automotive transportation on a daily basis — which is probably in it and of itself enough to make a noticeable change in an individual’s footprint. I wonder if this is generally the case when individuals move from more urban areas to more rural areas. If so, can urban areas ever be made more efficient than rural areas? One of the things we mentioned was the efficiency of the north and west campus living centers with communal dining, laundry, etc. But it’s unclear whether this kind of living could ever extend beyond the university.

4 thoughts on “Questions about communal living

1. To add to urban vs rural area efficiency, in my opinion urban areas with dominant public transport are more efficient! For example, there is almost no need to get a car in NYC because of buses and trains going everywhere. Versus in a rural area, everyone needs cars to get anywhere. I guess the question then is in the population of rural vs urban.

2. I’m for Houston, where there is a serious lack of good public transportation, and (from what I’ve seen in my travels) public transportation doesn’t only decrease our carbon footprint but increases ‘city culture’ by causing people to interact more. Also, it significantly reduces the stress induced by road rage and extended period of time in bumper to bumper traffic that effects family and work life.

3. I agree with you about the difference in transportation habits here versus back home. I come from an area that, while certainly not rural, is very spread out. In order to do anything in my area you have to get in a car and drive somewhere. The only thing that is walking distance from my house is a park. Here in Ithaca, however, I can easily walk to anywhere at Cornell or the Commons. So there is much less of a need for a car here then there is elsewhere.

4. I’d never thought about considering my carbon footprint here in Ithaca vs. back home. I agree that because I almost never use a car while I’m here, my carbon footprint is probably considerably lower.
    But, that also got me thinking about energy wasting habits I indulge in here, but not at home. I turn the heat up all the way in my dorm room, and leave it turned up even when I’m not in the room. I also take advantage of the unlimited hot water in our dorm for really long showers. I guess I tell myself that since I’m not the one paying for it, I might as well?
    It would be interesting to compare my daily water and electricity usage here vs. back at home.