Hydroponics lettuce tastes ok

This week’s rose cafe featured an interesting agriculture technique called hydroponics. The method is widely used in Japan, but in the US, it is less known. This is most likely due to the heavy cost structure of hydroponics which requires indoor space, water, and filter systems for nutrients. In addition, the plants must be carefully monitored to ensure that all of its needs are being met inside of the greenhouse. A huge positive of this form of agriculture is the fact that they are pesticide free since they are grown inside.

The taste difference between hydroponics and regular grown plants is subtle. But, nonetheless, I don’t think it tasted that great. I think taste will be a factor that will affect the price of hydroponic plants in the future. This week’s house dinner actually featured hydroponics grown, Cornell based lettuce in the salad and herb oil. The lettuce from the salad was grown in Greenhouse 130 light and the system that was used is the widely used system known as the Pond System.

The lettuce and other hydroponics based systems are being explored by students and faculty members. Specifically, one study is examining two different types of lighting used in the system: high pressure sodium which is the existing fixutre and the LED fixture which relays high specific lights and will predictably, overtake the high pressure sodium lighting for its efficiency.

Undergraduates who are interested in the field are encouraged to take Dr. Matson’s Indoor hydroponics class this spring semester. The class will involve lots of hands on experience, research opportunities, and interesting applications of hydroponics.

After this cafe, I am definitely amazed by the innovation in agriculture that is happening in this era. This cafe also inspired me to schedule a tour of the greenhouse at Cornell. There are tulips and poinsettias which could definitely be a plus for your Instagram!

2 thoughts on “Hydroponics lettuce tastes ok

1. This sounds very interesting. I had never considered that, because it is grown indoors, hydroponic lettuce would be pesticide free. I didn’t get a chance to try it at house dinner this week, but I hope I do in future.
    It’s also interesting to learn that Cornell is doing hydroponics research. If I had not become an engineer, I think I would have been a plant sciences major. This is a very interesting area of research.

2. I attended this cafe and was really interested by it as well. I didn’t know anything about hydroponics before but was amazed at the nuances of processes and the various research that is being conducted in the field. I need to schedule a tour of the greenhouses!