Growing Plants Without Soil

This past Wednesday, I attended the Rose Cafe on hydroponics. I had vaguely heard of hydroponics before the talk, but I did not really know anything about it. As a result, I found the talk to be extremely informative. There are apparently different types of hydroponic systems, each with their own pros and cons. In addition, there are different ways to ensure that the plants get the light that they need. There is, of course, natural lighting, but that is often not enough when in a greenhouse. The most common artificial lighting is high-pressure sodium lighting. However, this will probably–like most other lighting–be replaced with LED lighting. Since LED lights come in many different colors, it is possible to experiment with how the plants grow in different color lights. For instance, it was mentioned in the talk that red lettuce will be green if grown under exclusively red light. This makes me wonder if it is possible to change other aspects of plants just by changing the color of the light used to grow them.

2 thoughts on “Growing Plants Without Soil

1. I knew little about hydroponics too but your piece is informative. It’s an interesting topic and a nice table talk. For your guess in the end, I think the same way.

2. It’s fascinating how the color of the lighting can alter the properties of the crops! I think the tightly controlled environments of hydroponics create a lot of cool opportunities for crop customization, and I’m excited to see how the field evolves!