A Different Perspective

Ever since I was a kid, I always loved going to museums. From the Natural History Museum to the Metropolitan Museum of Art it was one of my favorite activities to do as a kid who lived near New York City. And when I went, I was focused only of what was being displayed, and nothing else. However, this Café brought an interesting topic to my attention. How and what exactly is displayed in museums. The style that artifacts and cultures are put on display is a very standard and accepted one. With real life models in large glass cases, and various items hung up on walls to be wondered and gawked at. While no one puts much thought into this, the Café brought up an interesting point. The origins of this practice of display has a less-than-innocent place in history. It stems back to the age when countries were clamoring to conquer other, “less civilized” countries, and put their culture on display, as a sort of prize or oddity. While this may not be the connotation in museums today, perhaps we should start to figure out a new way to accurately portray the history and various cultures of the world.