Ethical Manipulation?

Personally, I was confused by the filmĀ North by Northwest. I’m not exactly certain what the name of the movie has to do with the actual plot either.

However, what did catch my attention was how a clueless man was roped into running for his life, seemingly for reasons that he was not responsible for. Even law enforcement seemed to have their minds set against him, without cluing him into the situation. I know it is a very unrealistic scenario to find yourself in to begin with, but there is something to be said about the ethical decision behind using an innocent man for public security matters without his explicit consent.

As humorous as the movie was, I was a little frustrated at the resolution because he is essentially pressured into his involvement in the undercover operation, and still ends up losing the woman he hopes to win over. At no point in time was he given the option to not participate. To me that represents a movie whose plot was not thoroughly thought out, and opting for a similar ending to waking fromĀ  a dream, or simply a director with disregard for free-will.