Developing Ithaca

I’m very glad I attended John Schroeder’s discussion on housing in Ithaca.  His knowledge of the city’s developmental history gave me a new perspective on Ithaca.  I count this lecture as one of the many experiences showing me the differences between a big city like my hometown and a small city like Ithaca.  The most surprising to hear about was the extremely high land tax enforced throughout the area.  Professor Blalock brought up the subject; a subject that is definitely swept under the rug.  Home ownership is extremely precious in an area like Ithaca.  Not because housing is scarce like in an area like my hometown in D.C. but simply because of the New York laws I am unfamiliar with.

I was especially pleased to be able to discuss urban development after learning about natural preservation of urban areas with Tod Bittner.  The two topics have plenty of overlap as Ithacans in general are very proud of the natural features scattered throughout the town.  While development is important environmental sustainability is held at equal value.