A classic Suspense/Thriller

I expected North by Northwest to leave me a little more unsettled than it did.  I still liked it, and it was cool to see Hitchcock make his characteristic cameo, as he does in all his films, just a minute or so into the movie, but the film itself wouldn’t come to mind as something to watch on Halloween.

The scenery in different parts of the film include a lavish mansion, crop fields, and Mt. Rushmore, which is an interesting mixture of places if you ask me.  In some ways, the varied scenes contribute the confusing plot of a man who has been mistaken for someone else and is constantly on the run.  The same man is later mistakingly convicted of a murder at a United Nations meeting.  Though being placed in this situation would definitely be unfortunate, Roger Thornhill, the main character played by Cary Grant, is so suave and casual about everything that happens to him it felt more to me like I was watching something along the line of a James Bond movie, without the melodramatic villain.

The ending of the movie was interesting, as I have never seen anybody fight on top of the presidents’ heads at Mt. Rushmore.  Though I would have preferred to watch Psycho or The Birds, given the special occasion, I am glad that I can check another iconic film off my list.

One thought on “A classic Suspense/Thriller

1. The choice of using Mt. Rushmore as the locality of a film’s dramatic end has always intrigued me. I remember watching this film as a child and I only remember because I saw a bunch of people scrambling around a giant head in a rock. I’m curious why exactly the filmmakers decided Mt. Rushmore, but I do like the fact that the movie ends there.