The Origin of Modern Action Movies

Recently, I attended a Flora’s Film Friday where we watched Alfred Hitchcock’s North by Northwest. This movie is considered one of the best action/thriller movies of all time and, while watching it, I noticed a lot of classic tropes of the genre that actually originated from the film. The general structure of the movie followed a template where the main character is thrust into an unusual situation, then he learns background info, then he confronts the antagonists and loses, then there’s a love affair, then there is the climax where the protagonist wins. This template has been used by countless action movies to this day, whether it be a James Bond movie or a Marvel superhero movie. Additionally, the use of a sidekick as a love interest is cliche in modern movies. However, it Hitchcock was one of the people who first made this trope commonplace. I am one who gets bored of these cliches, so watching the movie initially was a bit boring. However, the more I thought and reflected on the film, the more I appreciate how it shaped the cinematic world for the next 50 years.

One thought on “The Origin of Modern Action Movies

1. It was interesting to hear about the historical significance this movie had on the film industry that followed its release. Thanks for sharing!