Into the Woods

On Saturday, I volunteered in the Ithaca area for the first time ever and it was quite an experience.  I honestly didn’t know what to expect going into Into the Streets however, the last thing I did expect was the forest.  When I found out we were volunteering at the YMCA, I had assumed that meant the one by Target and we were going to spend the afternoon organizing things or cleaning the gym.  no.

As I have mentioned previously, I have a severe phobia of bees.  So, when the taxis arrived in a wooded area with no sign of an indoors facility in sight I was not happy.  However, after we were assigned to our jobs (my team had vine-hut weaving) and began working, I really wasn’t too concerned with bugs.  The challenge was kind of weird and I definitely took more breaks than I should have but overall, it was actually fun.  I never stay outdoors in woody areas for long periods of time but the forest air and interesting task was refreshing.  We struggled at first and time was moving extremely slowly but at the end, we were all very proud of our vine hut.

2 thoughts on “Into the Woods

1. As someone who loves the outdoors and has spent a fair amount of time in the woods I always find it interesting to hear perspectives of people who don’t like being in wooded areas. Thank you for sharing your perspective because I love to hear about peoples experiences in the outdoors when they don’t like/ are not used to it.

2. I feel like you have a great grasp on how to write as a blogger. The voice and tone emanating from this blog post is just so authentically blogger. Most bloggers really hate the outdoors, so I feel like you’ve found your community in a way.