Drawing in Perspective

I like drawing, though my style is a bit unorthodox.  Typically when drawing a scene, you start out with general shapes and then progressively get more detailed.  This helps you get the proportion of the objects in your scene right, while allowing you a lot of blank space to add details.  For some reason, I always focus on one little thing, like the column of a building, and draw it out in the most detail as I can, then move on the the next object in the scene.

On Saturday, Seema and Sam took me and a few other Rose Scholars out to draw on the Arts Quad.  Seema is getting her Ph. D. in the Department of City and Regional Planning, so naturally her drawing turned out well.  She demonstrated the difference between two point and one point perspective drawings, which seemed particularly applicable when drawing buildings, like those on the Arts Quad.  I drew Goldwin Smith Hall from a one point perspective, with the North side of the building going further back into the page and thus getting a little smaller.

It worked well, but I have to admit I resorted to old habits pretty quickly.  I don’t get to draw very often, so when I do, I am prone to doing it in my usual style.  Next time I’m drawing buildings, I will try to stick to the way Seema introduced, and hopefully my buildings will look more to scale with all the other parts of the scene.  Also, trees.  I really need to work on my trees.